Thursday 4 September 2014

The Emotional Equivalent of Space Mountain: Part 3

I've been a bit busy lately but I'm finally getting around to updating the story of my application dramas, and tonight I shall share the conclusion of my tale thus far!

Last time, I had just received an email from Disney's Australian recruiter, and in that email she asked if she could phone me in two days time to discuss my application questions.  To say I was stunned would be an understatement of epic proportions!  I quickly replied to confirm the time for the phone call and then proceeded to spend the next two days wondering what it could all mean.  I figured she was just going to explain the situation to me, but there was that tiny glimmer of hope inside that made me think that just maybe I could still have a chance with Disney.

We had organised for the phone call to be at 8am so on the morning of the call I woke about 7am and just lay in bed waiting for the call.  Around 8:10 my phone rang and I had to take a few deep breaths before I could answer.  The conversation started with the usual pleasantries (I think we may have talked about the weather) before Jill, the recruiter, began to talk about my studies.  She confirmed that I had indeed begun my course in January 2013, but then she said the words that made my heart skip a beat.  It was something along the lines of "And you completed that in December 2013?"

For a moment I forgot how to breathe, how to speak, how to do anything.  

Eventually though, I found my voice and managed to say "Uh, no.  My course doesn't finish until December 2014.  I'm still a student."

Jill sounded surprised and quickly re-checked my application and CV before telling me the wonderful news: A mistake had been made and I was still eligible for the program!  I tried to remain calm as the conversation finished up, Jill promising I would receive the interview invitation in the next few days.  I think I said "Thank You" about fifty times in two minutes!

When I hung up, I just sat there staring at my phone for a couple of minutes, not really sure what to do or what to think.  After a week of devastation at having my dream taken away and finally beginning to adjust to that, suddenly it was being handed back to me.  I will admit that even though I was excited, it did take me a couple of days to re-adjust.  But by the time my interview invitation came through, I was ready to take my second chance and make the most of it.

So after not hearing anything for months, being made NLIC then being told it was a mistake, I finally got to book in my interview with Disney on August 25th, exactly four months - to the day - that I first applied to Disney.  My interview is on September 9th which is now only 4 days away and I'm pretty excited, so I'll make sure to update again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment